We have lots of interesting and fun events throughout the year. All are in the interests of keeping older people safe, connected and supported, and the majority of them are free. If you’d like to attend any of these events, or find out more, please contact Marrit on 03 544 7264, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tea and Talk
Tea and Talk – it is what it says! Anyone is welcome to come along to these – a simple socialising opportunity with morning tea, the chance to meet others, and hear from occasional guest speakers and entertainers. We have five of these sessions in the region. All sessions run from 10am – 11.30am and cost $3. See below for times and locations:
- Age Concern Hall, 62 Oxford Street, Richmond, Every Wednesday
- Victory Community Centre, 1 Totara Street, Nelson, Every Monday
- Elma Turner Library, 27 Halifax Street, Nelson, Every Friday
- Gateway Housing Trust, 24A Tudor Street, Motueka, Every Wednesday
- Anglican Parish Hall, 42 Commercial Street, Takaka, Second Wednesday of Every Month.
Sing Yourself Well
If you enjoy singing or being around people who are singing then come along to our weekly singing session in the Age Concern Hall. You don’t have to be an experienced or confident singer, just enjoy the experience and benefits of singing. Sessions are run by Ruth Collingham, who has a real passion and joy for singing and wants to share this with her community. The Sing Yourself Well session are designed to be relaxed and lots of fun for singers and non-singers of all abilities with an emphasis on wellbeing.
The session runs Every Tuesday from 10am to 11.30am in the Age Concern Hall, 62 Oxford Street, Richmond
Staying Safe Driving
This is a classroom-based workshop that offers senior drivers a refresher of the road rules. Led by a driving instructor, it covers all the basic road rules as well as offering drivers the chance to ask questions. Upcoming dates:
- Monday 2 September in Stoke Baptist Church, Main Road, Stoke. 10am to 12pm.
- Monday 21 October in Nelson. Time and Venue to be confirmed.
- Monday 9 December in Tahunanui. Time and Venue to be confirmed.
Life Without A Car
This is a chance for senior drivers to think about the options for getting around if they choose to give up driving, or have to because of health reasons. We will be running these in different venues throughout the year.
This is a programme developed by the AA that offers senior drivers the chance to be ‘fitted’ as safely and comfortably in their car as possible. Trained volunteers and an Occupational Therapist can make adjustments to the car as well as discussing any issues around mobility and driving. Upcoming dates:
- Friday 20 September, Time and venue to be confirmed.
Did you know that spinning poi is really good for you? We’re incredibly excited to be bringin Dr Kate Riegle van West, founder of SpinPoi, to Nelson in August, with support from Nelson Bays PHO and Nelson City Council. She’s going to be here to run hands-on workshops and training for people interested in running poi classes. See below for times and dates:
- Thursday 15 August, 10am to 11am. FREE workshop/presentation open to anyone interested in learning about poi.
- Thursday 15 August, 1pm-3pm. Training Course for people interested in running poi sessions for rest home and hospital level adults. Cost $30.
- Friday 16 August, 10am to 3pm. Training Course for people interested in running poi sessions for community living and independent older adults. Cost $50, lunch provided.
Please register with us if you’d like to come to any of the workshops. If you would like to find out about Kate’s work and research you can visit http://www.spinpoi.com